PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Jobs at threat ??
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 05:41
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Radar,

Maybe some of our Dallas colleagues can comment further but I don't think that FAST and PFAST were as bad as you may indicate.

I read an article by an ATC journal that described how DFW implemented this system of on-screen "suggestions" and how, initially at least, there was great reluctance to use the info as human interpretation of data and subsequent action were considered superior to any computer analysis. The article went on to say that by the end of the trial period or when the article went to print, controllers were using the "suggestions" 96% of the time.

And BD, you need more faith in computers. When Japan introduced the bullet train many moons ago, the bulk of the work was done by computers. The train driver was just sitting pretty watching the nice lights flash at him.

For myself, I think our generation may not accept a computer-driven system but I would be very surprised if, after 30-40 years, the entire ATM machine weren't run by these gadgets. If you want an ATC career like we enjoy now, don't get your hopes up.