PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using the ARC 2 Flight Computer
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2006, 23:25
mckrll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great that you have it!

You can use exactly the same procedure on the Low Speed side as well.

The point about placing the wind X is to get the wind direction against the Index and the wind speed x kts up from the centre "dot".

As the whole thing is a slide rule, 20kt = 20kt wherever you start from. Hence finding a convenient starting point (where you chose is entirely irrelevant as what matters is where you end up).

If you imagine a problem where you set the wind at say 20kt and then turned the disk thro 90 degrees - you'll see that the G/S = TAS (because the slide hasn't moved) and you have the full 20kts as a XWind.

In a normal scenario, the act of turning the disk from wind dir to TRK plus sliding to get the wind X on the TAS draws the (in)famous wind triangle - though admittedly the movement of the wind X sideways is really drawing an arc (it's probably easier to see it as drawing three points - one where the wind X starts, one where the wind X ends up and the third where the centre dot ends up).

I actually have the CRP-1W. This has a rotating arm instead of a full circular window. The arm has the knots shown on a vertical line from the centre dot - Low one way and High the other.

This means that you don't actually have to mark anything at all - just do the alignments. It's miles easier.

As for
I predict you'll be FO in 12 months.
that's very kind, but not the direction I'm going at all. As a born teacher (I've taught everything from primary to post-grad) I'm aiming to combine CFI with some charter work and a part-time church postion (I'm a liturgical musician or a musical liturgist depending on where you're coming from).

Unfortunately plans are not quite on track at the moment, but I'm hoping they'll sort themselves out via an emmigration later in the year.

Best wishes,

Andrew