PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR flight?
Thread: IFR flight?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2006, 20:52
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540,
the aircraft itself must not have a VFR-only or VMC-only restriction in its operating handbook
I have seen several American aircraft where the POH says "Day VFR only", but this is overruled in the UK CAA suppliment to the POH, which refers you to the relevant parts of the ANO to determine if the aircraft is equipped for night or IFR flight.

I asked a question about that on this forum a couple of years ago, but about the night restriction rather than the IMC restriction (have searched, but can't find it), and although no one would commit to it, I think the general opinion was that you can ignore the "Day VFR only", because the CAA's suppliment overrides anything in the original POH.

Would this be your understanding too? And is it the "norm" for the CAA to put something like this in their suppliments? Some examples might alter my opinion.

However, one thing which is worth pointing out is that if the FAA have restricted an aircraft to VFR only, it's probably with good reason. So even if it is legal to fly it IFR in the UK, the chances are it is not equipped for flight in seriousIMC.

FFF
-------------