PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Collection at RAF Cosford under threat (Merged)
Old 5th May 2006, 17:32
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like an itch you just know you shouldn't scratch I had to click on the link provided by Mooney. So sad!

So other than a an incredibly remote possibly of Brooklands being able save more of the VC10 than the Cockpit, this particular battle between aviation heritage on one side and corporate apathy allied to bean counters saving pennies whilst wasting millions is over.

But have we 'learned anything' from this. Other than rage against events what will 'we' as PPRuners be able to do next time (and there will be a next time) that would have a positive effect?

OK emails and letters to those with influence may help, but normally these require time to 'build momentum' and often this is a lot longer than the time between an annoucement and irrevocable destruction.

I have no answers (god I wish I did) and the feeling of impotence during this affair not helped by knowing that in this particular case the BA Board has never grasped the importance and commercial possibilities of Corporate Heritage since they were privatised.

From the posts in this thread there have been many suggestions with merit, but in most cases they required: Time, Organisation and Finally Money.

Although Time is never sufficient it is a variable.

Organisation - 'We are a group who correspond' we are not an organisation.

Money - Without the first two this is hypothetical and conservation is ongoing, so simply applying for lottery funding won't cut it.

I am probably going to be accused of being defeatist (again :-) but I am just trying to set out the problem and really hoping someone has a viable solution to take into the next battle.
DIH