PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Defence Secretary -Reshuffle
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 12:35
Bluntend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For info, here is what Dr Reid had to say upon leaving to become Home Secretary. Enjoy...
"Great fondness and pride" - John Reid bids farewell to Defence
05/05/2006
Secretary of State the Rt Hon John Reid MP has departed the Ministry of Defence for the top job at the Home Office, almost exactly one year after taking up the post.
John Reid: "This has been my best year in Government "
Shortly before leaving the MOD's Whitehall HQ for the last time as Secretary of State, John Reid sent the following message to Armed Forces personnel around the World:
"I have never made any secret of my huge admiration for Britain's Armed Forces. The courage, professionalism and dedication you display every day in carrying out the difficult tasks you are asked to do act as an example of all that is best about this country.
"What is also true, albeit less obvious perhaps, is the how much I appreciate the immense support, guidance and friendship I have enjoyed from so many of you in my time at the Ministry of Defence – both as Minister for the Armed Forces and over the last year as Secretary of State.
"I have been immensely lucky to have held this post, and as I leave to undertake a new challenge I want all of you to know, wherever you are reading or listening to this message, that I think of you not only as the best fighting force in the world, but as the best organisation I’ve ever had the privilege of working with.
"I will look back on this last year with great fondness, and pride, and I wish each and every one of you all the best.
"With warmest regards, John Reid."
As he left, Mr Reid was applauded by several hundred Service personnel and MOD civil servants who had gathered in Main Building's South Concourse. Speaking informally to the crowd, Mr Reid added:
"This has been my best year in Government - you're great people, you truly are the best of British."
Mr Reid will be succeeded by Rt Hon Des Browne MP, currently Chief Secretary to the Treasury