PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 5th May 2006, 10:48
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
James Gray MP

I have just sent this email to James Gray, with copies to David Cameron and Liam Fox

Dear James Gray
If your words, published in a Wiltshire newspaper about one of your constituents, Nigel Gilbert, are a correct quote, then you, Sir, should be ashamed of yourself. The paper quotes you as saying "He seems to be a self-publicist. He keeps going on about the same story. I think he should just let it lie."
http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/sea...mans_claim.php
In writing this, I am assuming that the words are correct.

This man that you criticise has been an operational pilot on the front line of dangerous military operations for his - our - country. He knows what he’s talking about. As you well know, he is now engaged in a courageous campaign to make the MoD provide some long overdue safety measures for aircraft that are at great risk in operational areas.

I know, from close contact with Nigel Gilbert, that he is anything but a ‘self-publicist’. In fact, I believe that it is largely because of the media appearances of Nigel Gilbert and Sarah Chapman that the then Secretary of State for Defence felt obliged to admit, on the ‘Today’ programme on Radio 4 on 3 May, that “with hindsight....... of course it is possible to say that this tragedy might have been averted if we had done that” (installed explosive suppressant foam). You will be aware that the MoD had not admitted this previously.

When you suggest that “He keeps going on about the same story. I think he should just let it lie", you may wish to consider whether it is because people like you and the crassly uncaring MoD have been prepared to ‘let things like this lie’ that 10 courageous soldiers of The Queen died unnecessarily on 5 January 2005.

I suggest that you should immediately apologise publicly to Nigel Gilbert, and reapply yourself, as his Member of Parliament, to helping him right this disgraceful wrong.

standing by for incoming
airsound