PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 08:59
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
After several months of waiting, I have finally received a reply via the Camer-chameleon from the uninspiring Reid. The predictable brush-off:

Dear (DC)

Thank you of your letter of 20 February enclosing further correspondence from your constituent (BEagle) about the Chinook helicopter ZD576 crash on the Mull of Kintyre in June 1994. I apologise for the delayed response.

Early Day Motion 1111 was lodged by Douglas Hogg on 24 November 2005. The motion calls on the Government to appoint a Judge of the High Court or similar individual to review of all the evidence gathered in the hearings and enquiries that have been held into the crash of ZD576 and, having regard to the appropriate burden and standard of proof, to advise whether the evidence is sufficient to support the conclusion that the pilots were guilty of gross negligence.

As I said in my last letter, the crash of ZD576 is the most extensively examined accident in the history of UK military aviation. The Labour Government and Ministerial team reviewed this case when we came into office in 1997, and again when Geoff Hoon became Defence Secretary. I also reconsidered the case on my appointment. We remain satisfied that the finding was appropriate and should not be disturbed. I therefore remain unable to agree with the proposal that a further review should be conducted.

The Government retains every confidence in the judgement of the Reviewing Officers but remains prepared to review its position should any compelling new evidence be brought forward.

Regards,

John Reid

Well, with Bliar's slimy gang in terminal meltdown, I shall use the opportunity of the local election results to congratulate DC on his party's result - and to ask him what he will do about the Chinook accident injustice when he comes into power following the nations' boot being applied to the abysmal Noo Labor:

Dear David,

Firstly, many congratulations to you and your party for the excellent results in last night's elections. Hopefully we will soon see the back of the current government.

Thank you for your letter of 26 Apr 06, enclosing the reply from John Reid. The predictable brush-off, but still with no real explanation for his refusal to allow the case to be considered impartially.

As it is fairly clear that you will be the PM in a couple of years' time, may I ask what you will intend to do about the Chinook accident verdict when you come to power?

Regards,

(BEagle)

I remain convinced that had the 'gross negligence' verdict not been found, then the MoD would have been vulnerable to charges of corporate manslaughter and the compensation claims would have been vastly higher. As a result, the pilots were easy scapegoats for Wratten and Day to blame in order let MoD wriggle off the hook of their corporate guilt.

Keep going, Brian!

Last edited by BEagle; 5th May 2006 at 09:11.