PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF JPA Rollout
Thread: RAF JPA Rollout
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 08:18
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
formertonkaplum,

I actually disagree that pay is poor - it's one of the few things that would be nice if it went up a lot more, but it's not necessarily needed - apart from perhaps the junior ranks who should get barrel loads more money when they go somewhere like Basra. In fact, I would say that those who loll around in the UK and never go OOA get too much and a rebalance would be a great idea! (£50 a day LSA anyone?)

JPA provided an opportunity to rationalise allowances and that has been achieved to some degree, but the good has been undermined by an apparent net loss for many people as the new rates and levels come into force. It's what people perceive that matters, which is often different to what they actually get! The majority of people won't ever notice the difference between a 3% or a 4% pay rise, but if they have to collect receipts, eat the cheapest thing on the menu and/or ask the restaurant for a photocopy of the menu, they'll get niggly. Add to that unavoidable costs associated with being away on route - and I don't mean beer - and people will notice they are losing money.

If it costs people their own money to do their job, you lose their hearts and minds. But if you give them a daily flat rate and treat them like grown ups, sometimes they will win, other times they will lose and the reduced admin costs will pay for it. I'm gobsmacked we've scored yet another own goal.