PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying to hire out
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 05:56
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are certainly cheap ways to fly. I fly a 4 seater, which cruises comfortably at 95 kts. I share it with 3 other older gentlemen, who each own other aeroplanes, including some fun stuff (Yaks, Aerobatic biplanes, etc....).

The plane is around 25 years old but has just benefited from a complete re-build and is effectively a new aeroplane with 200 hrs on the engine. I paid under 10k for the share and first years insurance etc.....I fly from an unlicensed airfield and don't pay any landing fees. As a resident I can come and go as I please, even after the airfield has "shut". We pay £20 each per month hangarage and £40 per hour in fuel and split all other bills. Normally the annuals are taken care of by the excess in the fuel (billed by hobbs). It also helps that one of the group members is an engineer

The other chaps are always happy to fly with me and to go on adventures. As they are retired, they are nearly always available and they are also happy to take me on adventures in their aeroplanes, and hopefully I'll get to do a bit of free (or very cheap) aerobatics this year, with the unofficial tutoring of an experienced aero's pilot.

As far as availibility is concerned, it is excellent and is available 90% of the time.