PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA or JAA licenses?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 00:15
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both Billiebob and Lightheart speak sense, do your homework before embarking. Be aware of the following which I got from the bestaviation.net website:

'MCC is the equivalent to LOFT (Line Orientated Flight Training) in USA, but unlike the US an MCC course is a minimum requirement with all airlines in Europe. The one exception to this rule is if you already have over 500 hours total time in a JAR 25 approved multi crew environment. Just be careful here because JAR does not recognize single pilot airplanes flown in a multi crew environment as being multi crew time (this also goes for the SIC time in your logbook). An example of this is a single pilot airplane like the Beech King Air 200 flown with two pilots because of insurance requirements. Under FAA this would be valid SIC time for the copilot – under JAA it is not as the airplane is not considered to require a multi-crew.'

Also bear in mind if you want to work in Europe companies such as BA don't recognise hours obtained in certain types of aircraft. See another post I put on the interviews and jobs forum for the requirements. Aircraft such as a Beech 1900 don't qualify. So essentially what I'm saying is, work out where you want to be, work out what's going to get your there as economically and painlessly in terms of time and money and go for it.