PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2006, 18:35
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite the levity in some of the previous posts, it's obvious that all is very much not well in Nigeria. I hear that another 2 pilots have recently resigned from Bristow and that if the new deal from CHC is not up to expectation, more pilots are likely to resign from Aero, not just ask for transfers. Interestingly, despite the shortage of pilots Aero have, both fixed wing and rotary wing, I hear that one pilot has been 'allowed to go' from the hard-pressed fixed wing fleet, struggling to keep pace with its expansion of services, and even after another 2 resignations, helicopter pilots are being allowed to transfer to other operations. This is fine whilst old aircraft are being retired from the fleet, but when their replacements arrive the crew shortage will surely start to bite. Some of my contacts report that there has been an increase in flying for most pilots as the company struggles to cope with falling numbers. It seems that promises of improved accomodation are either not being fulfilled or are so long in coming that many of the aging pilot workforce are likely to be retired before they happen . It's also obvious from what I hear that the old complaint from everyone in Port Harcourt about abominable transport are not being heeded by management, who all drive around in new cars whilst most of the rest of the staff rattle around in extremely old, very dangerous, uncomfortable cars and buses, barely distinguishable from the average taxi. One wonders about the recent accident in Abuja - is a Peugeot 504 from the 1970's really a safe or suitable transport for the 21st century, even if it is well maintained (by Nigerian standards anyway ). I'm told that CHC have yet to announce details of their pay review due in May, and maybe Bristow will be the first to announce their own new pay deal. Whatever is the case, both companies are likely to see an acceleration in departures from Nigeria unless instead of merely trying to put a cork in the hole in the dyke, they undertake radical repair and rebuilding work - unlikely given the recent history of the 2 companies in Nigeria, where head in the sand seems more the order of the day

HPB, as far as I know, Caverton continues to spend more than it makes and there's no sign of anything like a shuttle operation in Lagos. They have a few flights to their new riverside heliport in VI (which really looks very nice in the photos I've seen), but nothing like a scheduled shuttle service. They have also recently lost another pilot and if the advert alluded to in the rival forum is anything to go by, they are starting to get more desperate for pilots. However, at the rates they're offering and with a ridiculous touring roster, they're unlikely to attract anyone other than CHC or Bristow rejects. The 'yellow peril' AS350 never seems to have got its advertising contract from MTN and just flies around painted in MTN yellow with no logos. They were rumoured to be getting the former Phillipino Bell 407, but that's now being flown by and for Pan African. I hear rumours that they may be considering selling their original Agusta 109 Power, which is a nice aircraft - but not for Nigeria due to its lack of payload and range with the lack of refuelling facilities. Not sure if it will be so easy to sell after a few yaers out in Nigeria, but I believe it has fairly low hours, so they may recoup some of their outgoings on it. I hear that they no longer man a desk at Port Harcourt International airport and that a number of their staff their have now quit, including their station manager. The recent appointment of some kind of Marketing manager Eastern division does not seem to have made any difference and they are only seen in Port Harcourt fairly infrequently these days.

A number of Aero helicopters have now disappeared, due to being over the maximum age allowable in Nigeria and Brsitow are expanding their operations in Port Harcourt, though they don't seem to have any shiny new aircraft around like CHC. I hear that Bristow's intention is to try and take the helicopter charter market away from Aero, especially now that 'Captain Kobo' has gone. Bristow have recently appointed a new manager to the NAF Base who, unlike most of the new CHC managers, has considerable experience in country and must still have a lot of contacts from his time at Aker Base and Calabar. If anyone can take some business away from Aero, he's the man.