PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2006, 17:30
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,593 Likes on 730 Posts
The weaselly bit is in the last question to him, Q118, where they finally try to pin it down. Look at his answer. He basically retreats to saying they both meet the common basic requirement - which isn't the question he was asked, and isn't the same as saying they are identical - one can meet meet it, the other can exceed it by x amount.

Q118:Mr Hancock: They have a different capability because they are going to do different things. The United States Marine Corps will not fly the plane in the same operational states as the Royal Navy fill fly it. So there are different capabilities. We are asking whether the plane itself, the product, is identical when it leaves the factory before it is customised to suit the use?

Mr Burbage: I would argue they are not being built to different capabilities. There was a common requirement constructed by the UK and US together. That common requirement is what we measure the airplane against and deliver the airplane against. There are some difference in UK weapons and US weapons.

He would argue? About what, on what grounds? Look also as Cdre Henley's reply to Q113.

Q113: Chairman: Okay. With many apologies I will repeat one question just for final confirmation. The US and UK STOVL versions will be identical in all respects, particularly in their Stealth characteristics. Is that correct?

Commodore Henley: Could I say I think we can only answer that by saying they share the same requirements.

That's what I mean by dodging the question.........

Last edited by ORAC; 5th May 2006 at 04:32.