PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alleged low flying prosecution
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2006, 05:41
FloaterNorthWest

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gaseous,

You say: "There is nothing in rule 5 which says you cannot land 20 yards from the public."

I think there is:

Rule 5 (i) Manoeuvring helicopters

A helicopter shall be exempt from the 500 feet rule when conducting manoeuvres in accordance with normal aviation practice, within the boundaries of a licensed or Government aerodrome, or at other sites with the permission of the CAA; provided that when flying in accordance with this exemption the helicopter must not be operated closer than 60 metres to persons, vessels, vehicles or structures located outside the aerodrome or site.

Apart from 60 metres, another key word is 'permission'. Are the sites you mentioned licenced, inspected or approved? Just because a land owner says helicopters can land doesn't make it right or safe.

I would be shocked to hear that you or any other helicopter pilots have been landing 20 yards from an uncontrolled group of the public. The apron at EGNH, is there a fence around it?

I have seen and attended a lot of accidents were small, usually privately owned helicopters, have gone into sites that are either too small or unsuitable.

The rotary world in UK has a hard enough time getting the support of the public, let's not give them any more ammunition.

FNW.