PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius - all you need to know about MK (threads merged)
Old 3rd May 2006, 23:03
Emma Ritz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Robot :

I thought like you when I saw those T&C's as well, they are from a document that was available on the MK website about 6 months ago. It was only up on the website for a few weeks and then around xmas they took it down again. The reason became obvious when I trekked all the way out to Mauritius only to find that the contract they were offering me was VERY different to say the least.

The up to date pay scales can be found on PPJN, and yes I can 100% guarantee that they pay their expats in rupees not in euros.

In fact it's even worse than the PPJN figures if you're not type rated because they will subtract the cost of any type rating training from those figures over the 4 year contract - i.e. for the ATR it's minus 400,000 rupees over 4 years.

Based on the document I have sitting on the table beside me, which I was given at my recent interview, I calculate the monthly take home pay of the A319 FO / ATR captain including all allowances, to be in the vicinity of 115,000 rupee / month if type rated, 107,000 if not. Yes you get the 20% gratuity at the end of 4 years but that's what you have to live on in the meantime ( and there's no pension either, remember that before you start thinking to spend all that gratuity at the end of your contract )

Housing seems to be a major problem from what I saw in my time there, lets just diplomatically say that there seems to be a pretty vast difference between expat and local workers, in expectations of what's minimum acceptable standard of housing, and the accomm allowance seems to be tilted more towards the locals I just did my research based on the minimum level of house that I thought would not end in divorce before the 4 year contract was up, and it certainly seems more like 35 - 40,000 rupees and upwards to get into a half decent house. Have a look on www.seeff.com or www.pamgolding.co.za/mauritius to get an idea.

Cost of living is really high as well, all imported goods are bloody expensive, price of cars is huge, and a lot of shops & restaurants have a 'local' price and a 'tourist' price, expect to pay the latter. Maybe not so bad if you are on the A340 and can do your grocery shopping in Paris or something once every couple of weeks, but no chance for the ATR / A319 guys.

I reckon it would be nice living for single person, or a frugal couple, but you wouldn't save a penny and no chance at all if you have to support kids or bills to pay back home.