PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:24
ShortfinalFred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flt Lt Walter Mitty - are you implying that, because I was a member of BA flightcrew in 1996 I am responsible for the disgusting way the Danair takeover was handled by my employer at the time, BA? Are you implying that Freddie Laker's loan arrangements that caused the receivers to be called-in are the direct responsibility of BA line pilots at the time? Do you realise that BALPA would have been shut down under secondary strike action legislation had it organised a strike by BA flightcrew in support of Danair pilots, however much this may have been warranted? Of course you know this.

What you are saying is completely unacceptable, ungrounded in any fact, peddles ruinous hatred and yet seems so eeriely reminiscent of the way BA flight Ops managers respond to any factually-based challenge to their corporate view of the world - raise the emotional temperature with wild allegations and linkages to emotive subjects that are not related to the point at hand and blame BA pilots for everything under the sun. And none of us need or want your sympathy either, mate.

WW has made his agenda clear in his response to the unions rejection of the BA pension "proposal". He has stated that BA seek a cost base at or lower than the lowest the industry can offer as the benchmark. I very much doubt that he will be able to run an airline that functions in the way BA does whilst paying a remuneration package that is equal to or less than the lowest the industry offers, and he is about to find out that this is so.

No more fatuous remarks about City professionals either needed: why compare an apple to a tomato? I dont get an annual bonus that can double or more my salary, unlike BA flight ops managers on rock-solid pensions who will get 250% if they STEAL my future, or certain city types. Nor am I paid what is in effect a compound salary as many city types are, where the burn-out factor is recognised by paying a wage that reflects shorter working lives, such that some City boys n' girls can retire after ten good years - not so in the airline world.

Pay our pensions BA - this isn't Rentokil, where the boss called unionised staff "vermin", and if you think it is - you will reap what you sow indeed.