PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avgas prices-What price do you pay?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 16:26
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark 1
The US price is probably a good indication of the "raw" price, and that's pushing $1/litre
Unleaded gasoline is around $2 per US gallon right now on the spot market in NY, which is around 50c (28p?) per litre. Yes, I know it's not AVGAS, but it's the closest equivalent 'raw' price I can come up with, and as gasoline can easily be shipped is probably not much different to the 'raw' price in Europe (sure somebody knows the real prices)

Originally Posted by 3FallinFlyer
Doesn't a couple of dollars of that go into a GA fund that provides funding for all these GPS approaches, 5000' runways and pilot operated runway lights at out of the way smalltown airfields??
I think US federal taxes on AVGAS amount to around 20c per US gallon (3p/litre). There is an aviation fund and GA contributes around US$600 million per year, so not small change, but GA is huge in the US and far more than spamcans burning AVGAS. This is supposed to be ringfenced and go only into aviation government spending, but who knows what really happens. I think the airport/ATC structure in the US is the only part of my taxes which gives me good value for the money they steal off me (both UK and US taxes)

That is an interesting web site Mark 1. A quick sniff around and one finds the duty on a pint of strong ale is 36p per pint, add 35p VAT, and still quite a bit short of the £2.30 it costs down the local.