PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:20
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military economy measures cost lives
THE article in your paper last week, Testing Time for Base, over the RAF Lyneham Base and the safety of the C130 Hercules aircraft currently flying in Iraq and Afghanistan, quoted a surprising reply from North Wiltshire MP James Gray.

Mr Gray had the effrontery to say he did not think it was true'' when pilot Nigel Gilbert accused the MOD of penny-pinching and not putting safety foam in the wings to prevent fires and explosions.

What else would he call it?

I know Mr Gilbert and he is not a liar, he has a distinguished flying record as a pilot over many years, with the RAF (with jets and Hercules) and now with a major civilian airline.

For more than 20 years, the military has asked for either foam, or inert gas, to be inserted as safety measures in the Hercules, but due to installation and other problems, the decision to proceed was postponed for a while''.

Several subsequent requests have all been declined by the MoD on the grounds of cost, a fraction of the total aircraft cost, and the fact that it takes several weeks to install each one, but it does stop a single rifle bullet from bringing down this huge aircraft.

The total inability of the Government to manage the defences of our country properly means we are now so short of aircraft, they cannot be spared long enough even to make them safe for troops to use.

Mr Gray was himself, for a very short while, Shadow Minister of Defence, during which time he had all these facts readily available to him, so don't come it, Mr Gray. Economy measures in this area always cost lives and this is extremely distressing for anyone connected with the military in all services. Our troops, all volunteers remember, deserve not just better, but the best.

S D Parr.

Pershore.

Worcsestershire

It appears our local Conservative MP Mr James Gray has entered the fray again. O dear I think he is going to regret that. Just when his friend the Defence Secretary has decided my "story" might be right after all........

NG