PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA or JAA licenses?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:43
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never been to UKFT or have read their website but some initial things for you to consider:-

- are UKFT a JAA approved FTO? If not who are they going to be using to get you up to JAA fATPL level?

- most of these US based supposedly JAA schemes are effectively selling you a bunch of FAA licences and ratings which you then convert to JAA. Some of the more unscrupulous operators only train in the JAA bits and pieces near the end of the training contract as they figure they have a hold over you of sorts.

- If its the case that you will be getting a bunch of FAA licences and ratings itemise out each one and compare it to what any other US FTO would be able to train you for. I am willing to bet you a pint that whatever price that UKFT or NAC or EFT or will sell you a FAA PPL for could be beaten by any of a thousand or more FTO's scattered across the US.

- did you realise that the IR skill test needs to be undertaken in a JAA state and not in the US? If so have you checked out who will be your training provider back in the UK (if the CAA will issue your JAA licence)? Have you checked out how many hours UKFT have allowed for this "UK IR flying" time in the budget? Have you budgeted for flights back to the UK for the IR?

- do a search under "multi crew" as opposed to "multi engine" and find out all about the differences and what can and can't be logged under JAA. Check out also about the Beech 1900 and where it sits in the "multi crew" scheme of things.

- Note that there are two completely different systems for logging flight time between the JAA and FAA systems. JAA undoubtedly will have you logging LESS time. Have a search on pprune.

- do a search on safety pilot and logging hours as well whilst you are at it.

After doing all the above and doing your sums look at the total cost of the UKFT scheme and then compare it to other schools for comparison before jumping in. You might want to weigh up going down the modular route and going it alone and choosing where to do your hour building, ME, CPL/IR & MCC polus distance learning etc.

Good luck.