PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHO DO ENGINEERS THINK THEY ARE?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:03
boxjockey99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an F/O what do people call me other than 'boy'? Referring to me as First Officer is a bit of a mouthful and since I hold the same type rating qualification as the skipper 'co' seems a little below my station.

Joking aside I am guilty of calling many many captains, F/O's and eng's 'mate' primarily because I know them. Ones I don't I don't refer to as anything rather I introduce myself. I have in the past called Captains 'Cheif' (again only if I know them). The big thing for me is if I know that person then my demeanor towards them changes to a more informal greeting. Those I don't know I show respect for until I do get to know them at which point the greeting again becomes less formal.

All of this seems a little OTT but just out of interest what would Eng's, Mech's, Captains, F/O's and dispatchers like to be called? Personally I don't care as long as there is a mutual repsect and we are all treated like adults. A cabin crew member once referred to me as 'brew boy' after having made the whole crew a cuppa on a previous turnaround which I have to say was a little more informal than I prefer and she was duly informed of her gaf.

Happy trails

Box