PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:26
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try more than 15 aircraft. Some guys still think Dubai is some dusty backwater with no traffic. As I illustrated on the previous thread, if compared to LGW, ie. single runway versus single runway, Dubai is less than 50 movements a day less on average than the average movements per day for LGW, that is about 630 versus 680. Dubai traffic is growing at between 10-15% annually while Gatwick trafic is growing at about 3-4% a year. So by the middle of next year Dubai will overtake Gatwick for traffic numbers.

You can try and get some yank controllers if you like but the one that came here lasted a matter of minutes before he stuffed up and was sent home. Nice guy but just goes to show you can't generalise about different nationalities. I see great Aussie pilots every day and really bad aussie pilots, the same goes for Poms, Yarpies and yanks. I know you are a wind up merchant readytocopy so congrats you got me to bite.

To Cat, I think he is referring to the inbound RAK being one from the WEST, ie inbound through DESDI, and so I have to agree that it is an accident waiting to happen. The Dubai guys are trying to thread the RAK arrival through the PAPAR departures, and then not let him run up the back of the LALDO/TONVO departures, so he takes him nth of SHJ only to try and hit the MAXMO inbound. And this twaddle about not meeting climb gradients?????? Yeh like that will float in the investigation later when the Cathay 742 in August carrying a belly load of rubber dog poo, climbs out through RIKET, 2 minutes after FUJ has called for a release of the FUJ traffic. The FUJ traffic pops up nose to nose with the 742 dragging his belly on the mountains and your only choice is to turn the FUJ departure to the right, that is right into the mountains. While we are on bad procedures try holding down to 10 thousand at Bubin right hand pattern with a run of departures through RIKET all assigned 13,000. Now you may say that the BUBIN pattern is separated from RIKET departures but when some of the operators decide to enter the hold at 270 or 280 kts they tend to go pretty wide on the turn. Now even those amazing controllers from ATLANTA, Boston and wherever else would jump at that one.

I agree procedures need to be fixed, and I haven't even started on the DARAX inbound versus outbound scenario. But we work with it best as we can, and so a bit of respect and appreciation goes a long way from the pilots. Not gonna get that here though are we.