PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIFR vs CIR ? Any practical advice ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 03:10
FlugWeasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bunglerat
Whilst you don't have to hold a CPL or ATPL to hold a CIR, whether you ultimately decide to go for the full Rating or just the PIFR, you need to approach it as a professional qualification. By this, I mean no Mickey-Mouse or cowboy-style "she'll-be-right" attitudes. I've said this on another thread, but you'd be amazed just how undisciplined and lazy it's possible for a VFR/PPL driver to be - and still manage to get away with it. In contrast, when you're in the soup with the expectation of having to fly an approach all the way to minimums before getting visual (if at all), you either get it right - or end up a statistic. There simply is no margin for error.
I'm not saying that you're a hack (in all fairness I don't know you, so I'm not judging), but I've met quite a few drivers over the years (recreational and professional alike) who have absolutely no business being at the controls of an aeroplane for IFR operations. The important distinction however, is that it's not the licence which determines how professional you are - it's your attitude.
Fully agree with those sentiments.

The PPL is a PRIVATE licence not a "amateur pilots licence". Likewise, it is a COMMERCIAL licence not a "professional pilots licence". The piece of paper doesnt say anything about how professional you are when you fly.

That was always a key point stressed time and again when I was training. The expectation was always that the same standards were expected of every pilot. Sometimes it felt a little tough to be held to a higher standard but I think it breeds better pilots.

There should be no distinction in terms of professionalism and airmanship between PPL and CPL or even ATPL for that matter.

Slightly off topic, but highly relevant to a discussion about PPL/CIR ....