PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIFR vs CIR ? Any practical advice ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 02:50
FlugWeasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magazine Article

Originally Posted by Led Zep
There was a great article in Australian Flying magazine just recently on this very subject. If I can find it, you can always ring 'em up with the month and order a back issue.
I think the main advantage the PIFR has over the CIR is that you don't need to keep current and I don't think renewals are an issue?
CIR is fairly straight forward to keep current, provided you have the required navaids within reasonable flying distance. To bad there aren't as many ILS/LLZs as there are NDBs in the top end though!
Thanks for the info. I tracked down the article.
It is in Nov/Dec 2005 Australian Flying if anyone else is looking for it.

Everything I wanted to know is explained quite clearly in the article. I guess what I am looking for is some *practical* experience from PPL pilots maintaining recency. The most difficult aspect logistically looks to be conducting an ILS approach every 35 days.

I fully agree with the recency requirements. Everything other than the ILS component seems manageable as it is in a 90 day/180 day/365 day cycle. One other concern I have with the PIFR is that other than self enforced criteria, there isnt the same stress on the "use it or lose it" principle of the CIR.

What is interesting is Curtis Aviation at Camden are quoted as saying that their Ops Manual requires PIFR to maintain the same recencyas CIR.