PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Training College, Waterford, Ireland
Old 2nd May 2006, 22:48
carbheaton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Person referring to themselves as “Mike Edgeworth” comments made on 1st May 2006.

News for you Mike – this is a Rumour and News network and I have yet to see a post that didn’t have some truth in it. No smoke without fire and all that.

I am not qualified to get involved with the quality or otherwise of the training at PTC Waterford, which by the way is not being questioned by the original poster, but I am qualified to comment on Avaition training in Ireland and its not good. To that end I cannot let your comments quoted below go unopposed.

…..Flight training in Ireland is now a serious industry. Ireland is in one of the most advantageous positions within Europe to becoming the centre of excellence for pilot training. Why ? because we have freely available airspace, some of the best weather in the British Isles (South East Ireland famous for its favorable micro climate) cheaper fuel, no VAT charges, no delays at airports queuing for taxy, takeoff and approach, minimal approach charges (€1.5 per approach at Waterford), freely available cheap accommodation etc. etc.

Substantial investment is being employed by PTC and as a result Ireland is been taken seriously by the international aviation community as a dominant centre for pilot training in the JAA jurisdiction.

The only thing that is serious about flight training in Ireland is that it is seriously expensive and I have never, in all the training I have done there, ever come even close to spending the “price list” that was quoted. Strangely enough sundries like ground briefs etc were a fair source of the over spend. The most substantial source of over spend though was the endless waiting for examiners from the authority, the IAA. I know of several people who have waited anywhere between 6 and 10 weeks for a skills test and all the while having to stay current, which meant spending thousands of euro over the budget.

What has that got to do with PTC. Well, strictly speaking, nothing but don’t come on here and try and make out that, and I quote,

“.
Ireland is in one of the most advantageous positions within Europe to becoming the centre of excellence for pilot training”
because its so not.

Finally your cheap shot about the anonymity of the posters on this forum is beneath you. Obviously a student of the other brash CEO’s who are trying to brow beat vulnerable students into keeping their mouths shut and hoping that the sharper practices that they pick up on during their training are kept out of the public domain. Well good for all you who have the courage to post your experiences. I think that most of us are capable of discerning those with a grudge and those who have something to say that will benefit fellow students and hopefully prevent them from making the same mistakes. I notice that as a result of this thread you have seen fit to correct your incorrect prices quoted on your web site.

My advice to those who are considering training in Ireland is to research it thoroughly and then decide to go elsewhere.