PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please, please help! Uni student in desperate need of help!
Old 2nd May 2006, 19:20
Tony_Soprano17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi pilottom

I am in a similar situation to yourself, ill give you a brief outline.

Im 20yrs old in college doing a two year business managemnet course (in 2nd year) I too hate the course and the college, i have no interest in what im learning. I was close to dropping out in 1st year and again earlier this year. Unlike yourslef though i live at home so dont have the expenses that come with living away from home.

I sat down and had a long and emotional conversation with my aprents and we agreed that id finish out the course. The fact that im in 2nd year in a 2 year course was a key point ( i dont have 3 years left like you). But from my point of view i felt it was only reasonable to finish out the course then pursue full time employment after the course had finished. I would work for one or two years and then go and train to be a pilot with the help of a bank loan and or parents. So that is where i am at now exams start in a week and i have hated the course even since i decided i wud stay doing it.

What you have to decide is whether or not it is better to complete your course and then start working or leave now and start workin straight away (bare in mind the paysacle with a degree will be significantly different tha if you started working now i.e. u cud earn the same amount once you have the degree as if you droppped out now. I suggest you have a long conversation with your parents and go about drawing up the pros and cons of each situaiton. Also keep doing research like you have done on this forum. You have taken the first step in deciding what to do. You will also have a gut feeling about what is right to do and if you really want to be a pilot and have a passion for it then it will happen beofre during or after your degree.

I hope this will be of some help to you and remember it is always better to have a lot of choices than having none.

Tony_Soprano17