PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:55
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apology accepted. This will be my last post in this particular argument.

From a PR point of view, we neither need nor want public empathy. We require BA to honour a promise which it has been proven that it can afford - as well it should, being the most profitable airline in the world. A little research on the internet will reveal this evidence.

I think that the appreciation that the company is not able to support people NOT working to the max is not there...

I'm inclined to agree with you in fact. There are numerous examples within BA of where this is the case, which I will leave to others to detail if they see fit. The Flight Operations department is not one of them. On longhaul, most pilots are regularly working to maximum LEGAL annual hours and have been for several years. It is starting to become the case on shorthaul as well. In the past, it was difficult to achieve this due to inefficient rostering by the company. There has to be some slack in the system to take into account the unforeseen - diversions and bad weather disruption, for example. This slack has been eroded to the extent that it is now no longer there in practical strength and a significant disruption now results in chaos.

Why would you want to own a company with bolshy, self-important employees, who cannot empathise with how their fellow employees have to work to keep the whole thing together...

I couldn't agree more, being one of the "fellow employees" who tries to hold everything together every time I turn up, despite the best efforts of others to prevent it.

Night.