PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHO DO ENGINEERS THINK THEY ARE?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:39
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epsilon minus - while I agree that calling the flight/cabin crew "mate" is not acceptable (as I mentioned in my first post), I believe that the days of formality in the airline industry (at least in Europe) went out with the advent of the low-cost carriers a while ago.

However, I disagree with you when you write that

"you are entirely wrong in your opinions with regard to public address of those who hold rank above you"

The flight crew and me might have the same objective (ensuring a safe and speedy turnaround), but I am not a member of the crew - incidentally, we don't even have the same employer! Therefore, the Captain does NOT hold rank above me, as he/she does with the rest of his/her crew. I have excellent relations with pilots (being one myself) and cabin crew (having been one), but I always behave as an equal.

When I first started dispatching, a captain told me that whenever the aircraft was on chocks, I was the captain! Not very helpful for a newbie, but he had a point: the best thing the crew can do to help during the turnaround is actually... to interfere as little as possible! We also operate to standard operating procedures and the crews know it. That means that while the captain is still legally responsible, I am in charge of what's going on while the aircraft is on stand; of course, that also means accepting responsibility when things go wrong.

Cheers

P.S.: as for being called "Sir", I still catch myself turning round to check whether they are talking to somebody else...