PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN Scholarships (J N Somers & others) 2004/2005/2206
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:22
JamesTigris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAPAN Criteria for PPL Vs ATPL

I've recently got the "Sorry but you've not been successful this time" letter from GAPAN regarding the PPL scholarship. I was told I was good enough to get down to the last 60 but was obviously at the bottom of that pile.

I was fully planning on applying for the ATPL scholarship as well but have been struggling to find the £300 needed to get a class one medical. Does anyone know if the selection criteria are dramatically different for the ATPL vs the PPL scholarships? If I've not been close enough to get the PPL scholarship (of which I understand there are several) then does that make it extreemly unlikely that I'd get to far competing for just one, more prestigious, award?

I know £300 is a small fraction of £65,000 and for that reason its worth a go on its own but at the same time for someone who's on a tight budget just to keep the electricity on its alot of money to just throw away if there is no realistic chance of sucess. I'd certainly need to get a class one eventually as I will undoubtedly take up professional flying in the future but the timing is not great at this precise time in life (final year Uni student!).

If anyone has any idea of the selection criteria for either/both scholarships I'd appreciate it.

-JT