PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 17:45
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps & Girls,

You are showing a complete lack of appreciation for non-flying jobs, which is doing the PR for your cause no good whatsoever.

rzw30 & BKB:

BA has still many holdovers of inefficiency from state ownership; for example it is well known that there are many more managers at BA than Lufthansa or other comparable airline using any metric you wish. Equally, there will be a lot of pain as efficiencies are gained as people and the company have to learn what is and what is not core business - what can and what cannot be eliminated.

That surely manifests itself most clearly in the awful transport situation (caused I might add by a union), and the terrible forced draft policy (created by poor recruitment and planning - and lack of attractiveness of BARP).

BKB

You might take note that many of your colleagues non-flying also work across time zones and work as many and sometime more hours than the pilot group. It is not really comparable to complain of a 5-day rostered tour of Europe, where non-flying staff may not even have such forecast stability in the work that they are doing, having to react to events and get things done - and that is including forced draft and transport delays.

It would appear to me that rzw30 asked more for a little empathy and solidarity than a retelling of your superiority as a pilot.

2000 to 0600 example is again poor, incomparable to those time performed by many office workers who often do more, and divorce unfortunately is pervasive everywhere. Focus on the issue.

I am thanks. Several irons in the fire already as it happens. Because I will strike until I get my pension promise which is after all - deferred pay.
If you had any idea about the contract, it is not a promise and has never been a promise. It is not enforceable in court. I agree - as I have said before - that unilateral cuts are immoral. It is not however illegal and is not included in any way, shape or form as deferred pay in any company accounts. It is a moral obligation that has been made - which upon valuation appears dire thanks to the multiple cockups of this country's government, actuaries and accountants. The year-end's valuation may eliminate all defecit when the markets are better, but it does not detract from the fact that it is the most rubbish defecit of all the FTSE companies.

Get it?

Human Factor

There are no unions in these investment banks and city firms, and these people are no fools. The employers are not theives, but know how to run a business to obtain maximum productivity from their staff and maximum profits. Refusal to work hours required results in instant dismissal. Unions are not recognised and collective bargaining is unheard of. Why is this acceptable? Because there is a real incentivisation to work to progress. There is no seniority based upon years of employment and no annual pay rise. Make it to the top and you will be well rewarded.

That is why they literally print money - every person in those companies is incentivised to work. These people own BA and value your company and keep us all richer through driving the economy. You are not asked to work to their levels nor to sell your soul, but to earn a return on their capital. How many billions do you think Goldman Sachs made this quarter? Take a look at their results - and the amount of capital on which they make that figure, in a MORE competitive environment than that in which BA operate.

This is the reality of capitalism. If you don't like it then buy out BA and change it to a charitable trust!

What's the worst that can happen to you if you make a mistake at work because you're tired?
It is a common misnomer that only safety is of importance in the airline. Of course it is important in a pilot's job, but do you really think you exist in isolation?

I therefore leave it to your imagination as to what happens when the company fails to file the Form 10-K with the SEC on time, where criminal penalties exist and the airline ceases to exist when liquidated by creditors. Feel free to imagine what the aforementioned capitalists will do if you continue to perform as currently.

In conclusion - some people's lack of empathy for their co-workers is appalling, and your PR is dire.

Engage brain before opening mouth (or typing).