PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 14:35
Big Kahuna Burger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rzw30
Well, as a worker in waterside, I expect to have all sorts of criticism heaped onto my head typically by pilots, (unnecessary overhead, wonderful working conditions, normal working hours etc.).
Well for some of us, things are not so rosy.
There has been the constant threst of having to reapply for ones job.
The prospect of over 30% of SMs going, and 20% of middle managers.
Hmmm. 30% too many managers already perhaps…?
This and the actual fact that many staff have actually gone leaving typically the same work to be done by maybe 30% less people.
Pilot establishment is a carefully calculated number of heads required by an agreed formulae.
How are your numbers worked out?? A mathematical formulae of by seeing how many people put in ‘desk time’?
We cannot do 30% more work as it is illegal. Just ask any of they guys n girls on the 900hr ‘list‘ (that’s airborne hours, not working hours.. which is typically 2500hrs p.a) The list a to warn pilots that they are very close (within minutes on occasions) of breaking the LEGAL (note industrial) limit of flying. Break that and the it’s a case of BA having its Operators Certificate withdrawn and the pilot have his or her license revoked. So no more 30 % extra for us, as it cant be done legally.
I for example, work typically from 7am (when I arrive at the rear entrance of Waterside having parked my car 25 minutes away- There is not enough parking space at waterside). I leave at typically 7pm but it may be later. That's typically around 60 hours
Hmm, yet again I would love a 7am start everyday. How about needing to swipe into the computer at 0500 sharp? So that’s a wake up of around 0345 for someone living 30 mins away. Yes, we too don’t park by Compass, we have allow 30 minutes to get from the carpart to the Compass Centre. Bugger…. Running late….. too bad the flight goes late and some serious explaining is to be done. So you are not late. Ever.
Oh, and after my 0345 wake up and 0500 check in, I might get the chance to see my bed at around 1800, in a different time zone, in a stuffy hotel room, far away from my family and the needs of my children. And when you do get back to LHR after a 5 day gypsy tour around Europe and finally get to set the park brake and look forward to seeing your own bed, wife and children, there is no bus to take the crew to the car park until 1 hour after shutdown, for the 4th time that month.
Ever heard of Draft Assign (or Force Draft). Ask a pilot next time you speak to one. You will instantly raise there blood pressure by several notches. We are commonly met at the aircrafts side upon arrival and told ‘ you know those next 2 days off you, your now working’
NO argument.
A disciplinary offence if you don’t turn up the next day.
A medieval rule for an archaic medieval company. Family? What family?
I can number at least 3 people who have committed suicide (one a General manager) because of this sort of pressure.
Without going into detail, it happens in all sections of the community, without exception.
I find it very difficult to feel sorry for pilots who simply do not have this sort of life destroying pressure.
Has any pilot here has asked for a Water Worlders sympathy? I cant recall it. And Im certainly not thanks.
I have worked in several office environments where redundancy has loomed large and can empathise to you situation. Have you every work a Pilot or a Cabin Crew roster for years upon years? Even if you have done so some years ago perhaps - it would not be anything like the pressurized environment that we currently endure.
Anyone who has not operated into and out of LHR of a extremely hectic environment on a permanent, short haul, multi sector day, years on end HAS NO IDEA of the crap we tolerate. Then there is the personal tolerance folks put up with. Away for upto 7 days Shorthaul, 10 days Longhaul, often seeing your children for maybe 1 night in that block, commonly getting home at 2000 and departing to go to work again less than 10 hours later, yes… 0600… Divorce is rampant, children asking who that strange man walking in the front door is….
Life destroying….? Hmmmm. You decide.
They are lucky enough to have the skill and aptitude
Lucky.
Now there’s an interesting word.
Years of hard graft at school.
Then years of hard graft earning the funds to pay fro £50,000 worth of vocational training that Doctors and Lawyers typically get funded for them.
Then a couple of hard years getting that elusive CPL, after having seen many of your friends fall by the wayside never having achieved that little blue book, only the large debt that goes with it.
But that’s the easy part.
Then comes getting that job.
Onto the first rung of the ladder.
Hauling mail around the Hebrides in the middle of a snow storm at low level in an aircraft that should really not be certified to operate in thos conditions, but it is.
Then a turboprop job with some skinflint operator paying around £15,000 for atrocious hours and a £20,000 bond ‘just incase’ you want to jump ship to an airline that doesn’t screw you over at every single opportunity.
Then that opening onto a jet comes good after much badgering and knocking on Chief Pilots doors. Now you might even get one or two of the days off that were meant to be a day off on your roster and start to even pay off your flying course loans which have only been increasing whilst you were living hand to mouth for the past 3 years working for sod all.
And then, maybe - then you might get a shot at the major Airlines.
Lucky. I don’t think so.
Being lucky is something you create individually.
Being unlucky is stepping in a dog turd.
excellent perks, and a low retirement age with a good pension at the end. If their retirement age is 60 rather than 55 that still makes them better off than the rest of us.
Which excellent perks are those? Staff travel…? Don’t pull my plonker.
I must have been missing them for all these years.
Which retirement age of 60 is that. Yet again something I must have missed…..
Ahhhhhhh…… I know now what you mean now! You believed the companies line of ‘pilots to retire at 60’….!!!!
There is your error.
It is complete and utter fiction.
ICAO has already stated that as from November 06 pilots can work until 65.
If they don't like it, they should make provision for earlier retirement themselves out of their (typically over £100k) salaries.
easyjet
Fiction.
Cadet pilots starting on £25,000….???!
If they really don't like BA maybe they should consider working for Ryanair
I am thanks. Several irons in the fire already as it happens. Because I will strike until I get my pension promise which is after all - deferred pay.
I don’t want your sympathy rzw30.
None of the 3500 pilots in BA need it thanks.
All I really want is the truth surrounding all this total SPIN from the company.
Strike.??
You can bet you very last Latte from Waitrose on it buddy.
PS What is the web address of the Water Worlders website please? I’m contemplating like to come and poke my nose into your business and tell mis truths too. I wonder how you would like it.???
The key to this website is the first word in the name of it.
Pilot.
Its not the Office Person RUmour NEtwork

Last edited by Big Kahuna Burger; 2nd May 2006 at 14:45.