PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 13:23
rzw30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A view from waterside

Well, as a worker in waterside, I expect to have all sorts of criticism heaped onto my head typically by pilots, (unnecessary overhead, wonderful working conditions, normal working hours etc.).

Well for some of us, things are not so rosy.

There has been the constant threst of having to reapply for ones job.

The prospect of over 30% of SMs going, and 20% of middle managers.

This and the actual fact that many staff have actually gone leaving typically the same work to be done by maybe 30% less people.

Over the last few years this has taken its toll.

I for example, work typically from 7am (when I arrive at the rear entrance of Waterside having parked my car 25 minutes away- There is not enough parking space at waterside).

I leave at typically 7pm but it may be later. That's typically around 60 hours, and is not atypical of others in IM.

I do this partly to do the necessary work, and partly to keep my job.

In recent years I can number at least 3 people who have committed suicide (one a General manager) because of this sort of pressure.

I find it very difficult to feel sorry for pilots who simply do not have this sort of life destroying pressure.

They are lucky enough to have the skill and aptitude to do a job which carries a high salary, excellent perks, and a low retirement age with a good pension at the end.

If their retirement age is 60 rather than 55 that still makes them better off than the rest of us.

If they don't like it, they should make provision for earlier retirement themselves out of their (typically over £100k) salaries.

If they really don't like BA maybe they should consider working for Ryanair or easyjet