PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What the hell is happening in MAS?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 12:58
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

MAStake:
But somewhere along the line it became a gravy train and continued on this route till the loss of RM1.26b became public. Of course the clamour over this has been reduced somewhat over a period of time with other events taking precedence in the headlines. But in the public eye MAS has become synonymous with nepotism, incompetence, inefficiency and a candidate for government bailout.
Well yeah, as was the norm for many legacy carriers (especially GLC ones) and public opinion is... well... endemic with an air of resignation. Bugs me however to sit around having to listen to lectures of "I'm not going to let MAS waste another taxpayer's dollar (sic)" [rowdy applause], but in the same breath we get "Fuel and payroll is too high", "Hang in there, next year will be better" (allahmah... said that last year, and the year before mah), "I'm not gonna let a single one of you guys screw ME"... but it's okay to screw US... brilliant that is...

Some observant PPRuNer said
The really chilling part about all of this is that the culture that has lead us to this situation - the slavish devotion to cost over quality, the intense centralization of authority that deprives middle managers of any ability to affect meaningful solutions, and the belief that the line employees are simply an impediment to the management running a really slick little operation - shows no sign of changing. This is why I and others no longer see a long term future working for this company.
this was about EK... and AK is fitting nicely into the same mold. At least MAS was quality over cost! I for one certainly hope Idris can pull it all together despite the Government's apparent favouritism coz somebody needs to keep the AK GroupCEO's ego in check. "The MAS Way" proforma was a fair assessment - general but understandably their game-plan is their secret.

Just as an aside, have to wonder about all the "100 New Airbuses" hype... last public statement by Airbus in KUL was 60 firm, 40 optioned back in Feb even despite the assult of banners, posters and billboards screaming otherwise... kudos to the marketing department.

Brianigham:
You really do need to do some more homework before calling more competent folk names.
Never a truer word - kasih. Levelflight take note.

Quite right, some of the responsibility MAS is charged with is for the social fabric of the nation, and while it would be nice if this can be done at a profit or even without subsidy, it isn't always possible in a heavily regulated environment. This idea of the Government to split the market into low-cost/high-cost, AK/MH respectively has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard - that practically guarantees AK good load factors without competition from MH and screws MH out of potential passengers... sorry... did I miss something... wasn't MH supposed to be increasing revenues... zero discounting... yeah like that's gonna win over more passengers and solve everything... well done BN Look on the bright side - at least the MTB contact pier is much more peaceful now - no more crowds of disgruntled, delayed passengers

levelflight: And how long do you think it takes to get into CX? Or SQ? Or EK? If you haven't worked out what I've been doing for the last 12 months, then don't bother there's no point. Don't think that it's no good to write about what's bothering you... just bother to think about what you are going to write before you do (particulary that last paragraph). It's fine to write about the goings on in MH or AK - that's what PPRuNe is all about. Look in the Middle East forum, there's some marvellous discussions that go on for pages - a rare occurence in South Asia/Far East. I can understand you may be frustrated, but casting aspersions of premeditated deceit and victimisation, etc will just get the wind up people and is hardly gonna create an informative thread, and we're all ambassadors of our respective countries