PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alleged low flying prosecution
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2006, 18:44
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go. Rule 5 again. The world's most re-written rule which still manages to confuse.

"5.3.(a)(ii).....landing and taking off in accordance with normal aviation practise....."

Define normal ? Does normal mean landing closer than 500 ft to a structure which contains persons ? Obviously if the flight is PT there are other rules which prohibit landing next to buildings.....aren't there ?

But what about the catch-all requirement which will be lobbed into your lap by any prosecuting lawyer who's read the ANO......we are all required to fly without endangering people or property on the surface. Until your skids touch mother earth, you're flying.

I think a good guideline can be construed from 5.3 (i)(i) - the reference to flying/manoeuvring at a licensed aerdrome and the 60 metre cordon sanitaire required to any persons, vessels, vehicles, structures located outside the aerdrome or site.

60 m from any person etc when landing is probably a good idea. But then I'm thinking more about R44 downwash than Chinook.