PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 1st May 2006, 17:36
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali,

A bite, I knew I'd get one. Some of the geometry and lack of awareness of speed differential displayed by controllers in this part of the world is truly shocking. I didn't say anything about your controlling abilities (you are not paranoid are you?) however you might want to point out to some of your buddies that aircraft have inertia. Typically I end up spaced not 5, 10 or 15nm apart but 7.6,13.3 or 23.9nm. It is not that difficult if you have a basic understanding of lead, lag, pursuit, closure and inertia. I used to do it for a living!

The reason Dubai need the spacings you have described is due to poor airspace design and maybe megalomania. If Dubai controlled the holds they could then arrange what ever spacing they required. Don't believe me go and check out LHR (Lambourne), LGW (Mayfield), MUC (Sauerkraut)..ok I made that one up. You tell me why Abu Dhabi feel the urge to control the busiest airfield in their region and then give them little or no flexibility to manage their arrivals?

Outa, Good spot!