PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 1st May 2006, 15:28
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to be the knobber throwing back the ICAO phraseology bull.

Whilst the Aussies are pretty anal about some phraseology, it never ceases to amaze me how the operate ULR flights like they are off on a hop around the circuit. "Report Wagga, Wagga!", "Call Headland" etc etc etc. If I lived in Wagga (thank god I don't) or Headland, I might know what the reporting point they are refering to is called.

Unbelievably, I don't sit up at nights memorising beacons, waypoints and reporting points whilst relating them to their geographical positions.......but I know an aussie that does. (Is the float moving?)

Back to the thread, we all need to help each other out, the biggest improvement to Dubai ATC would be to disband centre. The fact that centre control the holds and have zippo ability to sequence aircraft leads to all sorts of problems in Dubai. I believe the key is better control by centre and coordination with Dubai.

How often have you been told by centre, "At Orsar fly 240, slow to green dot and enter a state of suspended animation"? You then get handed off to Dubai, "Direct Ukrim, no speed control, keep the speed up as long as you can!"