PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol - Any questions, please ask!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2006, 13:55
soontobeATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi flyingsystem

Yes i took the FEAST tests. First of all let me say, that for the phase 1 selection tests there is really very little you can do to prepare.

The FEAST tests are all computerised and are fairly straightforward as long as you follow the instructions carefully. You are allowed to proceed at your own pace (within certain time constraints) and the whole atmosphere is quite relaxed.

They consist of the usual dreaded cubes test! and also logic/numeric sorting tasks. There is an english language proficiency check, and although for me this was obviously not a problem, it does seem to be the main stumbling block for non-native speakers.

At lunch time successful candidates will be invited to stay for the 2nd round in the afternoon. This is a "live" traffic situation where you have to process strips and identify conflicts on the computer screen. The main advice i can give here is to read and read again the instructions, and then try to remian calm and think logically.

If you pass these tests you will be invited back for the 2nd/3rd round selection tests. I found the 2nd rouund at least to be easier - the pressure is "off" to some extent and you can almost enjoy yourself. 2nd round tests are designed to probe your comprehension abilities and your teamworking skills. Again theres not much you can do to prepare.

If you pass the 2nd round you are informed by telephone the same evening, and I attended interview the next day. If you reach the interview stage I advise you to "know your stuff" when it comes to Eurocontrol and the single sky initiative. The interviewers also probe your personal history and general motivation for the job as well as asking some technical/maths questions. hint - know pythagoras and triangle construction!

And thats it! The selection process is by no means easy! For obvious reasons they have to place a lot of importance on your english language skils and the cleanliness of your accent, so perhaps this is somewhere you might want to concentrate on.

All in all I am very happy with the selection process, and all the people i met at Eurocontrol were friendly and willing to help. They are also very prompt at letting you know if you are successful/unsuccessful.

There was a 3 week gap between phase 1 and phase 2/3 tests for me, although for other candidates attending, that gap seemed to be much larger in some cases (up to 3 months!).

If you have any other q's, id be happy to help!