PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 question
Thread: V1 question
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2006, 08:48
BGQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to the original question, not enough information is provided.

To get the best answer one would need to know whether the takeoff is Accelerate/Stop limited, runway limited or obstacle limited.

Having said that, most airlines are using balanced field performance data and maximum available reduced thrust.

If you were in a 737 on a 12000ft runway with no obstacles if the takeoff path either decision would be okay as you would have enough runway to accelerate to Vr and go or alternatively stop well before the end without seriously hot brakes.

If the same aircraft (on a shorter runway) was using balanced field performance and was accelerate /stop limited it would definitely go off the end in the abort at V1+10. You might reduce the amount of damage if reduce thrust is available as it is not taken into account in stopping performance calculations and would be a bonus.

In the go case your screen height will be reduced from 35ft to 15ft but the aircraft will perform and outclimb any obstacles in the takeoff path. If you were using reduced thrust you have the potential to achieve even greater obstacle clearance by restoring TO/GA thrust.

The better decision in most cases is the go one and that's what your recruiter probably wants to here.

Because a lot of guys ask this question about continuing at speeds significantly below V1 I have run many of these scenarios in the simulator over the years and never seen a failed takeoff attempt from V1 -10. I have seen plenty of overruns from aborts above V1.

I'm also sure that plenty of people have tried single engine takeoffs in the sim for fun.

If it was me being asked the question I would have asked for more info but I am well past the stage of interviewing for new jobs....... I hope.