PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practical Advice on Contact Lenses Please
Old 30th Apr 2006, 20:36
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Jemy,

I have worn contacts for over 25 years and operate the 767 on long haul routes for First Choice out of Manchester.

To answer your questions;

1. I fly long haul and I'm concerned about them drying out. Is this a problem?

Nope. I use Johnson & Johnson Acuvue 2 and have never had a problem. It may be for you, so carry some refreshing eye drops commercially bought in any chemists.

2. Is the cleaning of them each night a bit of a bind or does it become part of the routine?

I use a cleaner called 'Easysept' by Bausch & Lomb. You put the lenses in a container with a metal element at the base, in the morning the cleaning fluid is converted to water to use to lubricate the lenses. Takes 4-5 hours to work.

3. I've heard that some people buy daily/ weekly or monthly contact lenses. What scheme works best and can you use them for longer than the "design period"?

Yes, I regularly forget to change lenses every two weeks and tend to do it when they start feeling a bit 'scratchy' or when I have a base check or a medical coming up !!

4. Can you wear them behind swimming goggles?

Yep, do it all the time. Snorkelling too.

Most opticians will allow you a trial so see how you get on whilst on days off and have no fear of flying in them, but of course you will have to get your licence changed to 'lenses plus specs' to be legal.