PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Speed Trial
Thread: LHR Speed Trial
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2006, 10:53
Dizzee Rascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyeinthesky

Why would you need a NOTAM issuing which tells you that the rules are to be complied with?

The lifting of speed restriction has always been at ATC discretion. The standing rule is max 250kts below FL100 on departure, so there is no change in the rules.
True but for the last 10 years (or thereabouts), the first contact with a TC sector on departure has been c/s climb to altitude **** ft, no ATC speed restriction! Pilots would become to expect it, just like they came to expect the sqawk ident reuqest on first contact with TC and then automatically did it before the request, a NOTAM was issued for that.

Heard a foreign a/c which departed my place on Thursday ask TC if there were any speed restrictions, (he had been restricted to do 210KT on his departure as the radar guy had a/c all over the RVA). I heard the TC guy tell him standard speeds and I watched him promptly accelerate to 310KT ground speed at 4000ft with someone at 5000ft which he went underneath a few miles up the road.

Just thought that if this guy had seen a NOTAM (or the AIC) he might have adhered to 250KT IAS and got a climb a bit sooner on.

Of course, I do know that his IAS could have been 250KT!