PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Danger with Rapid Rotations
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2006, 03:31
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A37575
It begs the question should a pilot who is a rapid rotator be subject to a comment by the other pilot who may consider the manoeuvre potentially dangerous? Or do you play the shrug your shoulders game and keep quiet? Comments welcome.
I have yet to see any airplane manufacturer who suggested anything other than a reasonable rotation rate - and almost universally that is 3 degrees per second, and 6 seconds to 18 degrees. You are absolutely correct about the history of the B737s, especially the -200 series. And I know that Centaurus had written an article on this specific circumstance some time back. It's good reading.
I think that any time either pilot sees the other guy rotating like what has been described here, it would be not only a smart thing to do to bring it to his attention, it could be the best conversation of your career. It borders on being unsafe, and at the higher gross weights probably is unsafe. There would be nothing more sad than to have your friends mention the fact that you knew it was dangerous but you decided to keep it to yourself, and do so at your funeral. And, by the way, if the other guy tells you to "stuff it," I think a chat with the Chief Pilot might be in order. Sorry guys, but he asked.