PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots, Observers and Aircrewman
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2006, 20:40
miles offtarget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality of life

I read your post with interest, however, having spent almost ten years as RAF aircrew in various capacities throughout the 1990s, I feel there is a very simple answer to your question: namely that of quality of life.

In this uncertain world there seems little point to joining the military and risking one's life during inconsequential regional conflicts for very limited personal reward and even less recognition.

Were the UK to be threatened directly, then I imagine that the recruitment figures would improve, but given that Bin Laden is unlikely to be defeated by conventional means, and Blair’s dodgy dossier suggested that Akrotiri could only just be within range of the Scuds, the threat simply doesn’t feature in the public consciousness.

Many of us don’t hold the military accountable for the shambles in Iraq, but rather the myopic and self interested political masters. Why get killed or injured, simply because of their crass misjudgement or inability to lose face by withdrawing from a lost country.

What does John Reid really think that half a dozen GR7s, some SH, and a few thousand infanteers will achieve in Afghanistan ? The suppression of the only cash crop they have? The voluntary disarming of the warlords and institution of widespread parliamentary democracy? Unlikely, but even if it were so, is that worth risking one’s life for?

The military doesn't offer a great lifestyle. Yes there’s security of employment, of sorts, but is that compensation for the continual cycle of detachments, manpower overstretch, relatively poor pay, dreadful married quarters, antiquated messing arrangements (where is PAYD?), etc. A glance at the threads on pprune confirms that many of those serving are as disillusioned now as I was in 1999.

Is it any surprise that with the airline industry so buoyant, and the military so bleak, the RAF is struggling to fill its quota.

If young people of suitable character wish to see the world, they’ll choose to do it volunteering with Op Raleigh or a NGO placement, or simply stump up the cash and take a gap year. Brisbane and Barcelona seem much more attractive than Basra, especially when looking through the cockpit window.

Last edited by miles offtarget; 30th Apr 2006 at 09:48.