PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots, Observers and Aircrewman
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2006, 14:09
Si Clik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots, Observers and Aircrewman

Well everyone I may have left recruiting a while back but feel invigorated to make a new post.

This week we passed out another set of bright young things to the front line and HRH DOY was good enough to come along a pin the wings on (well velcro anyway) and I stood there shouting loudly wondering why we still struggle to get aircrew through the door.

Is this not a career of interest, excitement and high reward? I know when we get to middle management its all cynical comments about costs and priorities but is eight years of great flying, on good money, not incentive enough to the young people of today? Even under AFPS 05 you still get a nice wad of Early Departure Payment and the CAA recognise more of our training than ever before.

I just don't see why they're not knocking on the door as they always seem to with the RAF and it's not like we're not around and about a bit more now.

Is it Iraq, Afghanistan or just plain lack of interest - even the numbers of fisheads wanting to move sideways into flying is appallingly low?

I say shout from the rooftops, not about how long you can stay, but how good it is even for eight years.

Well rant over, I am clearly feeling melancholy and I am sure once I get back to teaching the little monkeys next week I'll feel a lot better.