PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2006, 13:49
yourarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Knowledge

Hotfuse...
why shouldnt you know who the prime minister of NZ and India is? Isnt India a growing world power? Do we not fly to Christchurch and Auckland? You're going to be a pilot and be travelling the world, you should know as many prime ministers and presidents as you can. Let me give you an example, what if you become a captain and you;re on your way to Auckland and you do one of your walk around the cabin checks, seeing if everything is ok in the cabin and with the passengers and a NZ passenger poses you the same question. Wouldnt it be shameful if you being the captain not knowing who the prime minister of the country you are flying into is?
Being a pilot is not just flying a multi million dollar machine, but to respond and to react to unlikely situations. Do you know why they ask you such questions as to who the leaders of different countries are? Its to see the way you react and respond to questions that you are unfamiliar with. If I have to share my experience of my interview with you guys, just remember to expect the unexpected and if you do not know an answer to a question...don't bull**** the interviewers, just say you dont know, that you're sorry and you would find out and let them know if you do see them again. I think its a learning experience. You learn from your mistakes and you go back and you correct them. I remember in my first interview I was posed the question as to the advantages and disadvantages of the Kangaroo route. This is when you read up about whats happening around the world and get prepared to answer questions like this. It's no point going for an interview thinking its going to be a walk through the park. For all of you out there who are seriously thinking of flying with Singapore Airlines, remember prepare prepare and prepare. Keep up with all the latest news with SIA, with aviation, with happenings around the world. They'd ask you what the capital of South Africa is? And no the answer isnt Durban or Cape town. Know all the capital cities of the world. Know as much as you can about commercial planes. Especially those SIA fly. In other words, Know everything related to aviation. Its better to be prepared then not being prepared. Smile. Thats my 2 cents worth.