PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning - 1st OCT 2006 - Ageism Law and Seniority lists
Old 29th Apr 2006, 12:16
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop aah...the class system.

Originally Posted by Stampe
,but seniority is length of service not age related.
Stampe - being picky here but currently in my company and many others I believe list those staff with the same joining date i.e. identical 'length of service' by their age when placing people on the Master list.

So the oldest person in a group people who all joined on the 1 July is the most senior of that group and so would appear on the master seniority list first - so he/she as an "elevated" position relative to his/her bretheren on that intake.

I'm all for guys being able to continue commands past their 60th birthday, thats not my gripe here.... but I have to say seniority works. Certainly there are aspects of it that are not necessarily suited to i.e. promotions for example. But for the less critical things, Leave,days off etc. It is as fair as your going to get.

I think there is a blurr here between what is seen as "discrimenation" (which is very subjective) and "Seniority" which can be based on age as a secondary factor. It has been for years the yard stick to which we are all measured against. Maybe it isn't fair to all but then how else does one administer these high demand benefits to a large, remote workforce.

Me'thinks this particular aspect of the new legislation is Ill-suited to our industry. (like so much else I hear the cries)

And before anyone says it..... I'm actually at the bottom of my list.... but at least I know "where" I am.