PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFW TMA: P-RNAV Problems??
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 22:14
CAP493

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...the series of waypoints and associated constraints are populated from the database as issued by the database supplier.
BUT...the major flaw is that in Europe (currently) there's absolutely no safety regulatory oversight of the accuracy of commercially-produced databases (nor indeed, of commercially-produced charts and docs). So there remains the possibility of inadvertent error during data input which most times could go unnoticed until an aircraft flies off track according to ATC but on track according to its FMC and HSI.

And this from an associated thread:

I had not heard of any specific technical problems with the RNAV arrival and departure procedures until reading your post. I did a quick search and found this interesting discussion which I believe may address your point. If so, it appears that the problem may be generic to many more airports than just DFW in particular. I will reserve judgement on the specific cause until I have seen more information.

Apparently, there are over 60 NASA ASRS reports relevant to this problem of straying off the published track while flying assigned DPs. Evidence appears to point to either crew data entry errors or possible database glitches in the few reports I have so far reviewed. It should allready be SOP to check the flight plan page waypoints against the printed procedure plate following loading of the procedure into the active flight plan. From what I have read of this so far, it might not be a bad idea to re-check the flight plan page after making any modification such as a direct to entry. Looks the the best and last chance to catch any error, whatever the cause.

I have used the RNAV procedures extensively at LAS and a few times at ATL and DFW without experiencing any problems related to dropped waypoints in the flight plan or any track keeping errors. My only problem with these procedures have been related the 90 degree turn on the KEPEC arrival into LAS. The turn anticipation and track keeping ability of the flight guidance system in our aircraft does not appear to be up to the task of completing this turn accurately and requires manual correction most of the time. More of an avionics intergration issue it seems. Works well in all other regards.

In any case, I hope you find the link I provided useful. Also check out this page at NBAA.

Westhawk

Interesting....