PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia - How long from CPL to job?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 10:40
Red Wine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Ahead.

It's been a few years since I posted advice to all the new comers entering the Industry.
I feel its worthwhile repeating my views:

Whilst it’s a competitive industry, all potential pilots should look at what attributes an employer looks for in any prospective pilot.

What do you think are the important things?

Hours?
Endorsements?
Ratings?

Yes they are nice to have, but certainly not a guarantee to obtain that first start.

Employers are far more impressed with:

Commitment
Well written applications, letters, e-mails and even postings of P’prune. [And check for spelling and punctuation].
Initiative
Motivation [self motivation]
Willingness to move ahead [enthusiasm]

Employers don’t necessarily expect new pilots to have the hours in the book, and don’t ever feel that you should withhold your application because you don’t quite address the criteria or specified requirements.

What shows employers that you want to get ahead?

If you have just completed your Commercial Theory then don’t stop. Move straight into your Air Transport Pilot Licence theory. When your on a roll it’s not a huge challenge, just keep going.
The same with the dreaded IREX Theory, do it!
Finish off that Higher Education Course that you started. [particularly if it’s aviation related]
Do a First Aid Course.
If you are looking at flying to ships or oil platforms, then think about the HUET course
Highlight your other strong relevant attributes. Someone who can do other duties when not flying will be towards the top of the list.

Just remember, you are your best advocate. Take positive steps to put yourself in front of the rest!

And above all, don’t listen to peers that are content to sit on their tails.

Finally, look at which company you are interested in, research them, find out the correct name of their Chief Pilot or Operations Manager, and call them.

Most of them, if not all will give you the time of day.

Be positive and work towards your aim.