PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 09:49
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea Centaurus,
And whilst it is vital to know where you are, it is also very important to know where you are going. I used to use the 'Flipper Cycle' with my studes (who were ab initio Multi Engine pilots) to help encourage them to communicate when PF (or PNF). I think the cycle embodies problem appreciation, decision making, effective communication, leadership and 'teamsmanship' and was designed to help my studes retain SA - as long as they kept it going. If they found it difficult, I emphasised the that the most important aspect is the continual review of the decisions and situation. They seemed to like it and find it helpful! What do you think?

THE ‘FLIPPER CYCLE’ ©

FLIGHT PATH -Where will we be in 10 mins (minimum)?
LEVEL -At What Flight Level/Altitude?
IMPLICATIONS -How will this affect us? (eg Controlled Airspace,ATC restrictions, Terrain, timing, other ac etc)
PROBLEM* -Is there one? If so, define it.
POSSIBILITIES -Check ALL your of the crew for input and discuss all possible solutions.
EXECUTION -Action decided by the Captain/PF (including delegation)

“Questions or suggestions?”

REVIEW -EVERYONE mentally reviews the plan. Concerns voiced early.

GO BACK TO THE START OF THE CYCLE!

* NOTE. If the captain/PF does not perceive a problem, he checks with the crew anyway – they may have spotted something he hasn’t!

Any link with my 'handle' is purely intentional and I have 'copyrighted' it. Please feel free to use the Flipper Cycle but anyone caught not acknowledging the source will be hunted down, stripped naked and abused by my legal enforcers (4 x Swedish netball players (36-24-36) - male or female - your choice!). Once you have been tortured and admitted your intellectual crime, you will asked for a £20 donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund......otherwise, the netball players will leave you alone!!!!!
Flipster