PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clearing in...it's all rubbish!!
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 08:42
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clearing in...it's all rubbish!!

Hi guys.

I am still at work and have just come off what my company calls a "revolutionary" new service.
Apparently this new service in economy class should be so easy that only one crew member would be able to serve food, serve drinks to 131 passengers, and do the duty free service in just over an hour. Today though, we had the full complement (lucky us!) as the crew complement will be reduced in a few days' time.

I feel the frustration is catching up with me so I apologise in advance for s and s !!!

The new breakfast service was soooooooo slow and guess what, on some of our planes (-300 series) they do notload Waste Carts. How I am supposed to clear in???? It's impossible to use the meal cart to clear in the whole cabin as what we give out occupies at least twice as much once it has been consumed. Our static waste bins have been sealed off, and we can't use them.

We thought of using a fire bag with a waste bag inside but as you can imagine clearing in while pulling that along the cabin isn't either convenient, quick or indeed professional!!!! Also no fire bags were loaded to start with so our flight was delayed to wait for what is a safety requiremement!!!!!!!
We ended up clearing in with trays and cardboard boxes by hand, emptying the content into the fire bags that we left in the galleys.
The rubbish was like multiplying itself everywhere.......I got showered in a mixture of fruit syrup and scrambled egg YUK And we get told off by some SCCMs if we try to use disposable gloves when handling waste as it doesn't look "glamorous"!!!!!!!!
I don't put my hands in the rubbish while I am at home, why should I put up with tons of rubbish everywhere when I am at work???

The department who is in charge of this apparently knows we have this problem but obviously they think we can put up with it every sector every day

During the drinks service a kid injured himself badly (cut his lips) and was bleeding quite a lot. So my colleague kept doing all the drinks on her own while I was trying to help his mother, trying to stop the bleeding, writing an incident report etc. It feels it's all a bit of a joke....while I appreciate that the aviation industry needs these cutbacks and that the a/c can be fully evacuated with min. crew on board, I feel at a loss, as it's in moments when pax need us (like that poor little kid) that an extra pair of hands and an extra brain are extremely useful and very important.

Again, sorry for this but I needed to get it off my chest...now I can go home and I will get on with it, tomorrow and for the rest of my flying days!!

Who needs counsellors when I have got you guys

FBWxxx