PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much to borrow???
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 01:05
captainhopeful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finance

Hello Guys!

I'm a university student looking at training for my fATPL.
I've been reading these forums for a number of years (since BA had a sponsored pilot training scheme if you must know! ). I'm after integrated training, and it seems that OAT and CTC are the way to go, jobs wise. So while getting a place at CTC would be amazing... you can't hold out for a 2% chance. I'm looking at my financial options for going to OAT .

From what I've read, £74k seems a realistic figure to save for. I have a job in a call centre which means I'll have zero student debt (except to the government) and a modest amount of savings. So 2 or 3 years flat-out work with all the overtime should get me the £25-30k I'm looking to save .

Am I right in thinking that HSBC in Oxford will still loan £50k with a parental guarantee? Is that guarantee property?
Also does the OAT course qualify for the government's career development loan, and would a bank lend that when there's a £50k debt elsewhere?

Yes I KNOW there's a search button at the top, and yes I've used it. But I think it's high time this issue be raised again and I hope it leads to some interesting discussion.

PJ