PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA jobs
Thread: SIA jobs
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2001, 08:28
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farside You are totally right in saying that there has been very little amusement in SIA of late.

Tosh 26 I agree with what you say about our STOLEN 6% Service Increment.

Back to the subject of SIA Jobs, for those of you considering a position based in Singapore.
When called for your interview you will be given a sub load Economy ticket to Sin.DO NOT expect to be upgraded as SIA want you to know from DAY I exactly what they think of you.They already have a pretty shrewd idea that you are desperate for the job as otherwise why would you come all the way to Sin ,pay all hotel and living costs yourself and the $500 for your medical.
When you get your offer of employment and you accept then that could be your first big mistake as it is not unheard of for SIA to put back your course a month or two.
On your eventual arrival do not make the mistake of thinking you have joined an efficient training organisation because you have not. Your training will last all of 4MONTHS during which time you are on a derisory salary. Another favourite trick of SIA is to send you on forced leave at some stage of your ground school,say 2 weeks. They like to do this whilst you are unproductive and on a low salary. Nice people are they not!!??
Within 20 days you have to hand over $45000/46000/60000 as a bank guarantee for 5years and 4 months. The Banks will charge you $2000 for the paperwork!!
During the ground school you will have to pay for Air Law exam and you will have to renew your medical and licence which you have to pay for!!
Your thoughts may well be thinking of renting an apartment. You will have to put up a deposit of 2 months rent to the landlord say $8700 also rental stamp duty of around $1000.
If you have children of school age then you have to put up a heavy deposit to the school.
Most expat schools are on west side of the Island which means taxis to work will be expensive
Did I hear you say you will get a car? Well forget that unless you want to mortgage your next 5 years salary for the pleasure.
When you do your calculations I think it would be wise to consider that there will be no more bonuses or service increments due to the downturn in business and the fact that SATS and SIAEC have been sold off and SIA fiddle the bonus formula to suit their own ends and even having changed it recently they now have refused to pay what is owed and the matter is now with the Ministry of Manpower. In true SIA fashion they have with held the 1.5 months they graciously said they would give as an ex-gratia payment until the matter is resolved!!
Have you all got the message yet as to what kind of employer SIA is???
I would suggest you all put off accepting a job with SIA until the financial results for the first half of the current financial year are announced around Mid October,although as SIA want to decide themselves what bonus to pay if any then you still cannot be sure.
Remember if you do join BRING PLENTY OF MONEY WITH YOU. Don't say you have not been warned.