PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 27th Apr 2006, 10:28
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nige

Trial Bishop is obviously very sensitive and, certainly, should not be open to the public (and the enemy). Nonetheless, the limitations of our 'old kit' have been known about for some time and, to a major degree, these probs have been rectified by getting 'new kit'. However, there are threats out there that are very hard to defend against - I won't mention what they are, though it is fairly obvious to those whom know. Furthermore, it will be nigh on impossible to defend against them - unless of course, every ac is weighed down by lots of expensive gear in an effort to produce the proverbial 'deflector shield'. I'm sure the AWC are working on this, however!

What worries me is how far does this 'action' against the politicians go? I believe that if foam is to be fitted urgently, then we have helped this happen - well done. The 'other kit' must be next and equally as urgently acheived, as it should have been done years ago. But what next?

I don't think the corporate manslaughter route is one we should get involved with. Obviously, I don't know for sure but I don't think the families would really want that either - it would take yonks and loads of everyone's valuable time and money, all the while raking over old ground, when what people need to do is get on with rebuilding their lives. The only winners will be the lawyers. Maybe what everyone needs is for someone in the gov't to put up their hand, just take responsibility and say sorry?

For sure, I think it would be most apt if Mr Reid and the Gov't would admit that

"Yes, we got it wrong. Yes, we should have listened and the funds should have been made available - but now its being sorted. Yes, we will pay some compensation to families.....Sorry."

Maybe Tony B should meet the families and say the same, while giving his personal assurances that this should not happen again?

Perhaps honesty is the best and only course for the gov't - it might even prevent anyone bringing corporate manslaughter charges against Hoon and Tony. Sadly, I believe the gov't accepting such responsibility would be highly unlikely. It is also likely that they would wriggle out of any charges, while putting put the blame on Their Airships, who are guilty of only failing to listen to advice from their own experts (it might be good CRM if Their Airships admitted as much?).

If nothing else, this episode should then serve as a reminder that:

a. Our Armed Forces need the proper kit to go to war.
b. They need to be more fully supported and listened to by their chain of command.
c. The families of the fallen are not to be overlooked nor 'avoided'.
d. The threat of corporate manslaughter to the politicians is very high if they don't comply and act in good faith.
e. The legal bandwagon is wrong to always search for someone to label as 'culpably negligent' because we are all human and, as a result, occasionally make mistakes!

Whilst I live in hope, I have also bought a ticket to cloudcuckooland!

Flip